Saturday, July 14, 2012

Exercising while injured

Some things just don't seem fair. Last Sunday I woke up with really bad pain in my upper thigh.The pain radiated into my groin and down the front and side of my leg. It was super intense! Eventually the pain also spread to my low back. My husband and I were about to leave for our 10 year anniversary getaway. I tried to go to Kickboxing that AM and had to leave because the pain was so intense. Many ice packs, a ton of pain medication, 3 days of no exercise later and it was finally starting to feel better. 


Our vacation was wonderful, but not what I had planned. My plans included hikes and early morning runs. Instead we did a lot of sitting on the waterfront and driving around. Thankfully, I was able to let go of my fitness goals and just enjoy the time with my husband. 


We returned from on Tuesday night. No exercise Sun, Mon or Tues. I decided to go to spin class Wednesday morning. Felt great after class! Had a great time in Turbo Kick on Thursday. Felt great after class! Friday afternoon I was trying to figure out how to convince my kids that it would be *fun* to go to the gym and the pain returned. 


I got mad. 
It's not fair. 
I shouldn't hurt. 
I weigh less than I did in middle school. 
I am in the best shape of my life. 
(REALLY! I am!) 


So, I did what many food abusers would do- I ate. I ate a lot. I ate because I couldn't exercise and that made me worry that I'd gain weight. I know that it doesn't make any sense. Why would you eat because you are worried about gaining weight? Why wouldn't you just eat less? I wish I knew. As I was eating way to much, I knew that I was eating out of fear and frustration. That's growth, right? The ability to identify triggers must be worth something. 


The pain kept me up during the night. It's not as bad as last week, but the potential is there for it to get bad again. I had to get out of the house this morning, but instead of my planned 3 mile run I went for a 2 mile walk. I left my Nike app and heart rate monitor at home. No need for equipment to judge me today. 


Based on google, I'm pretty convinced that the pain is radiating from my hip flexor. My massage therapist works weekends and I am going to try to get in to see her. Monday and Tuesday are already jam packed with fun stuff, so it looks like I won't get in to my chiro until Wednesday. My plan is to ask him to do an x-ray if massage therapy doesn't help. 


Gotta get ready for Bug's party at Chuck E Cheese. Here's to a healthy weekend!


~Kari

About Me

My photo
On June 19, 2009 I started my weight loss journey. It has become quite the journey! As of today (2-1-11) I have lost 162 pounds and have gained a whole new life. This blog is a continuation of my journey. I hope to inspire and encourage others through my process.