Thursday, November 1, 2012

A blast from the past

When I first started blogging, I blogged over at SparkPeople. I LOVE LOVE LOVE SparkPeople. If it was easier to blog over there I'd still be doing it. Someone asked me today about how I first started losing weight. (My favorite topic BTW!).

I started looking through my initial blogs. I teared up reading about how excited I was that I had bought a size 18 dress. I marvel at my 100 pounds lost pictures. I had no idea how much further I was going to go.

Here's a post that really helps to explain how I got started....

~Kari

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Last week someone asked me how I ever got "THAT big". Now, there is probably a nicer way to ask that question, but it is a fair question that I am going to attempt to answer. The teacher in me wants to make a T-chart, but I am going to have to settle for a Then: and Now: format. At my heaviest I was (big gulp) 356 pounds. I am now around 218 and steadily moving down to my goal of no longer obese, but rather being overweight at 208. :) Ok, here is how I got to be "THAT big":

Then: When I would go grocery shopping I would always buy a candy bar (or 2) in the checkout line to eat before I got home.
Now: If I am really that hungry that I can't wait or I am not going home right away I'll pick up a piece of fruit or container of yogurt while shopping.

Then: I'd drink 2-3 cans of coke a day and a white chocolate mocha. (That's a pound a week by the way....)
Now: I do have a diet pop a day (still working on this one), but have limited all of my drinks to low cal or no cal. I have fallen in love with a Grande Skinny Carmel latte (saving 250 calories a drink!)

Then: I payed no attention to portion sizes or nutritional needs.
Now: I eat within my healthy range almost every day and try really hard to balance my fiber, protein, carbs, etc.

Then: Exercise was a 4 letter word. If I did go to the gym my effort was minimal as I didn't think I could do what everyone else was doing.
Now: I exercise 5 or 6 days a week. I have become a RUNNER! Go figure!

Then: When I was sad, bored, or happy I'd eat.
Now: Food is fuel. I work hard to check my emotions when I am "hungry" and make sure I am eating because I am really hungry.

Then: I tried to hide my weight loss struggles or pass them off as a non-issue.
Now: I am honest and open about my health. I talk all the time about my success and struggles. I have found that EVERYONE (even the skinny people!) struggles and want to support me in my efforts.

Then: Everyone and everything else was more important than my own health and wellness.
Now: Because everyone is so important to me I must make the time each day to take care of my body through proper nutrition and exercise.

Whew! That's a pretty good summary of how I got to be "THAT big". I am sharing this list to answer that question. It is also to a reminder to myself about the unhealthy habits that caused me to be "THAT big". 

About Me

My photo
On June 19, 2009 I started my weight loss journey. It has become quite the journey! As of today (2-1-11) I have lost 162 pounds and have gained a whole new life. This blog is a continuation of my journey. I hope to inspire and encourage others through my process.