Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition

Have you seen the show? Chris Powell chooses individuals that have a lot of weight to lose, works with them for a year, and at the end of the year they have (hopefully!) lost a lot of weight.

I was watching tonight and this guy lost 216 pounds in a year. He started out at 459. Losing 100 pound in a year was, for me, a lot. I am sure this young man's life has changed in amazing ways, but watching this show twice now has caused me frustration and concern for the message that this show sends.


~ They always set a 3-month goal for the first 90 days. On the first episode the goal was for a woman to lose 86 pounds. Tonight he was suppose to lose 100 pounds in 3 months. That is a pound of day! How can that possibly be safe? While losing 100 pounds in a year was within the suggested 1-2 pounds a week; I battled with dizziness, fluctuations in my menstrual cycle, and headaches. How can these people be losing a pound a day and not suffer extreme side effects?

~ For the first 3 months the trainer moves in with the participant. Who can do that? I know that this is a TV show, but people that have 100+ pounds to lose don't recognize that they can not expect the same results. I know that I would watch Biggest Loser and think, "They've lost 20 pounds in a week, why can't I do that?". OR I'd think, "Of course I can't lose weight. Look at all they have (trainer, home gym, etc). I don't have any of those things."

~ Final rant.... At the 9 month mark the participants are offered excess skin removal surgery if they've lose a certain percentage of their weight. Here's how the scene has unfolded for the first two episodes....

Pre-op appointment where the patient is approved for surgery

patient is being rolled into surgery

3 months later- final weigh in

AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!  I kid you not! Having the decision to have excess skin removed is a huge decision that involves a lengthy recovery- both physically and emotionally. It's not just a fade out and *poof* there you are 3 months later. You are skinnier, look great and have conquered the weight loss world.

Here's the reality of losing weight- It takes time. It is hard work. It can be lonely at times. Once you reach your goal weight you've only just begun.
The rewards are amazing!

About Me

My photo
On June 19, 2009 I started my weight loss journey. It has become quite the journey! As of today (2-1-11) I have lost 162 pounds and have gained a whole new life. This blog is a continuation of my journey. I hope to inspire and encourage others through my process.