Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Don't tell me I can't!

*I am on vacation right now and have been pretty quite in blog world, but had to share about my workout this morning. I'll be back later in the week to recap my amazing vacation.*

My sweet, caring, wonderfully supportive husband said something to me this morning that rattled me a little bit. He said, "Honey, it's ok if you can't run a mile. You just had major surgery". He's right- I am only 7 weeks post-op. He's wrong- I can run a mile. I was given the ok to run about a week and a half ago. Since getting the all clear I've been running and walking 3 miles every other day. My runs have gone like this- walk .5 miles/run .5 miles, repeat 3 times. As I was lacing up my shoes this morning I was griping about how hard running is since surgery and how frustrated I've been getting during my runs. In his kindest voice he started explaining to me (for about the millionth time) that recovery takes time and that I need to be patient with myself.

I got out there to do my run. I was a ways into my .5 walk and his words resonated with me..."It's ok if you can't run a mile....". No, it's not ok. I dug deep and decided that I would run a mile and then I could quit when I was done if it was that hard. Well, I am happy to report that my 3 mile run went like this- walk .5, run 1, walk .5, run 1, collapse on the couch in a pool of sweat! :) I felt amazing! I felt alive again. I love finishing a run and feeling like I have really given it my all. My legs are jello right now and I couldn't be happier. They weren't fast miles (13 min miles), but they were miles and I was running them.

About Me

My photo
On June 19, 2009 I started my weight loss journey. It has become quite the journey! As of today (2-1-11) I have lost 162 pounds and have gained a whole new life. This blog is a continuation of my journey. I hope to inspire and encourage others through my process.