Wednesday, September 28, 2011

A Return to Swimming

Back in high school I was a swimmer. I was a BIG swimmer. I don't mean big like I won big, but rather I was obese and on the swim team. It was the only physical activity I got and was only 3 months out of the year. Even to this day when I put on a swim suit I have horrible flashbacks of trying to fit into the largest size team Speedo swimsuit the swim shop carried. Someone very close to me asked me if I had to go to Omar the tent maker to have my suit made. That hurt! That still hurts today.

A few days ago David posted about going on a midnight swim. I was inspired! I wanted to swim. I wanted to glide through the water. I've been toying with my workouts and thinking about changing things around. I love to run, but have grown tired of my running routine.

To fix my running lulls I've decided to run twice a week and add in a day of swimming. Today I swam for half an hour. It doesn't seem like a lot, but I am definitely tired! Probably the hardest part for me was that I only burned 250 calories. Running half an hour will give me a caloric burn of over 400 calories. Swimming felt great! It was amazing to feel my muscles work together to move me forward. I even messed around with a few flip turns towards the end. Back in the day I could do a flip turn. Turns out that I still can. :)

What about you? Have you tried any new forms of exercise lately???

About Me

My photo
On June 19, 2009 I started my weight loss journey. It has become quite the journey! As of today (2-1-11) I have lost 162 pounds and have gained a whole new life. This blog is a continuation of my journey. I hope to inspire and encourage others through my process.