Sunday, February 12, 2012

9 months post-op + Bonus material

I'm writing to you tonight from my local Starbucks. I never thought I'd be that girl. Can you see her? Sitting in the corner with her skinny mocha and oatmeal? She looks so put together.  She's at peace. She's enjoying a quiet cup of coffee after a great workout. Tonight, if even for a moment, I am that girl.

You probably came here looking for a post-op update, but I am starting off with bonus material.....

* This week I got a new pair of running shoes. I may be in love with them, but am reserving judgement until I get a few miles under my feet. I've only run with them once and I kept wondering if they could take me the whole 13.1 miles. Could these be the shoes that lead me to completing my first one and only 1/2 marathon? Feel free to admire the latest addition to my running shoe collection. They are Asics GT-2160s.


* Speaking of running..... I had set a goal, back in January, of running a sub 11 minute pace by the end of February. I am SOOOO close. Here's the proof:
It's hard to read, but I am at exactly an 11'00 minute pace. I was so close! I have my Nike app set to update me on my progress every quarter mile. I was consistently between 10:58 and 11:04 the entire run. Looking forward to seeing that pace drop below 11.

9 Months Post-Op

9 months ago I had surgery to remove the excess skin that was hanging off of my arms and stomach. It was not a decision that was easy to make, but it is one that was the right decision for me. Plastic surgery is not for everyone. I didn't think it was for me, but I now know that it was what I needed to move on to the next phase of my life. I was both literally and emotionally weighed down by the skin that would never go away, no matter how much exercise or how much more weight I would lose.

My incisions have all finally closed! The scars on my arms are still red. I keep waiting for the redness to go away. The nurse told me that some time after 6 months that I'd wake up and the redness would be gone. My arms do look better (more of a light pink color than red), but I am still waiting for all discoloration to go away. There are a few spots on both arms where all you see if a thin white line. My stomach incisions are a thin white pencil line all the way around. I take hope in knowing that one day my arm scars *should* look like my stomach scars.

Exercise at 9 months post-op is amazing! Not a day goes by that I don't notice the lack of flapping arm and/or stomach skin during my workouts. My arms start to sting after an hour or so of intense exercise. I am sure that this is nerve pain. I had a breast reduction 11 years ago and it feels exactly the same- sharp, instant, quick jabbing pain that goes away as quick at it comes. When doing ab work my I feel a sort of pull right above my pubic bone. I'm not sure if this is from the surgery or from my 2 c-sections. It's not so bad that I can't push through, but it is noticeable.

Would I do the surgery again? Yep, in a heartbeat. I knew that the excess skin bothered me, but I had no idea how much until it was gone. The scars aren't too bad and actually give me an opportunity to share my story with those that ask. Is there more plastic surgery in my future? Well, first I have to pay off this surgery. :) Honestly, I have no desire to have any other work done. There are days when I wish that I would have had my vertical cut done, but it doesn't matter that much to me that I would want to go through another recovery.

Sorry this was so long! Feel free to ask questions if there is something that I didn't cover and you are dying to know about. I  leave you with a few arm pictures.


Front- Pre Surgery
Front- 9 months post-op












Arm Scar- 4 months post-op


Arm Scar- 9 months post-op



~Kari

About Me

My photo
On June 19, 2009 I started my weight loss journey. It has become quite the journey! As of today (2-1-11) I have lost 162 pounds and have gained a whole new life. This blog is a continuation of my journey. I hope to inspire and encourage others through my process.