Sunday, September 8, 2013

Free to Breathe Run with Family and Friends

It's my birthday weekend! It just so happens that there is a Free to Breathe run in my town on my birthday week/weekend. Nearly 4 years ago my dad passed away from lung cancer. Free to Breathe raises funds for lung cancer research. For the last 3 years I have run in my dad's memory. Last year Baby girl and my brother ran for "papa". Yesterday my entire family, along with some good friends, ran/walked with me. 
This year was especially emotional. I'm not sure exactly why, but I was very reflective on this run.

I was on track for a PR when I ran into the husband and the kids. They were planning to do the 1 mile course. Apparently the 1 mile course was a different route and they ended up on the 3 mile course. I caught them at the 1 mile marker. Those silly kids created their own 2 mile course. :) Seeing the kids required stopping, getting hugs, and making promises of granola bars at the end.

I finished strong (right around 37 minutes) and ran back to cheer. My amazing friend Julia had already finished so I found her on the sidelines. We waited...then what do we see???? There is Baby girl running her heart out!

I love that look of determination in her eyes. She's got this! I see me. Last year when she "ran" this she had to be carried/dragged the last mile. Here she is running in the last 1/4 mile. I handed my camera off to Julia and ran with her until almost the finish line. SHE DID IT! Best of all she beat the boys. She called beating the boys "unnatural", but I assured her is was the most natural thing she could do. Next up were the boys. They were good sports about the extra mile and also ran in the final leg. SO proud of them. Bug is convinced that he won. You did Bug, you did. :)



I miss my dad. Terribly. There are times when I feel like he is still on a trip and will be back soon. My run yesterday allowed me to be close to him again. Even if it was just for an hour. My family and friends being a part of this even was the best part. Sharing fitness with others brings me such joy!


We run for Papa. Who could you run for? It's too late to run at the event, but Free to Breathe has events all of the US. Have you run in one before? Check them out!

Also, if you can't run/walk, but would like to donate my donation page is still open. :) 

One more just cause he's so stinking cute! 

~Kari









About Me

My photo
On June 19, 2009 I started my weight loss journey. It has become quite the journey! As of today (2-1-11) I have lost 162 pounds and have gained a whole new life. This blog is a continuation of my journey. I hope to inspire and encourage others through my process.