Wednesday, September 4, 2013

I think about losing weight

Always answer No! Why do people start a conversation with "Can I ask you a personal question"? I had, for the first time ever, a stranger ask me about my scars at the water park this weekend. It went like this:

Complete stranger: Can I ask you a personal question?

Me: Of course

C.S.: How did you get the scar on your arm?

Me: Oh! I lost 165 pounds and had an arm lift. (Baby girl added- "And she has scars on her tummy too". Thanks, honey, thanks)

C.S: That's what I thought. I need to lose weight. I've thought about losing weight. How did you lose your weight?

Me: Through food journaling and exercise. It took a long time. I lost 2-3 pounds a week for a year and a half. Some weeks I didn't lose anything.

C.S: I need to lose 100 pounds. That seems hard. I think about losing weight. Do you feel better?

Me: Yes (Then I went on, and on, and on about all the things that I can do now that I am healthy)

C.S.: I think about losing weight.


Whew! We made it to the front of the line. Down the slide we went!

Here's the thing.... You need to do more than just think about losing the weight. It takes work. It takes commitment. It requires doing the same things day after day, even when you don't feel like it.

Today will be a challenge for me when it comes to food- PMS, first day of school (super busy), not enough sleep last night, Red Robin for dinner tonight. I could just blow off today, but I won't.

I continue to make the right choices because I want to be able to go down water slides so that complete strangers can ask me about my scars.

What steps are you taking today towards a healthier version of you?

~Kari

About Me

My photo
On June 19, 2009 I started my weight loss journey. It has become quite the journey! As of today (2-1-11) I have lost 162 pounds and have gained a whole new life. This blog is a continuation of my journey. I hope to inspire and encourage others through my process.