Monday, July 18, 2011

Maintenance is HARD work!

Here's how the conversation went....

Friend who only means the best: "Are you still losing weight?"
Me: "No, I haven't lost in a few months"
Friend: "Oh, you've hit a plateau"
Me: "Um, I guess so" (I exit feeling frustrated, inadequate, and embarrassed that I didn't have big weight loss numbers to share.)

Here's how it should have gone....

Friend: "Oh, you've hit a plateau"
Me: "No, not at all. I am running faster than I ever have. I have been able to maintain a weight loss of nearly 170 pounds for OVER 6 months. I am working out harder each time I hit the gym. I just started a weight lifting program. I feel amazing!"

Maintenance is hard work! I have been known to tell people that maintenance can be more difficult than losing weight. I need to remember this the next time I am feeling inadequate about my own progress.

Have you stopped losing?
How do you answer when people question your progress?

About Me

My photo
On June 19, 2009 I started my weight loss journey. It has become quite the journey! As of today (2-1-11) I have lost 162 pounds and have gained a whole new life. This blog is a continuation of my journey. I hope to inspire and encourage others through my process.