Sunday, April 15, 2012

1/2 Marathon Training- Week 2

Another week on the 1/2 marathon books! Monday brought a wonderful day of rest. Tues-Wed-Thurs morning all started at 5:45 AM with 3 mile runs. It was hard getting up so early, but I am getting use to it. On Tues and Thur, I went to the gym after work to lift. Friday was another rest day.

The Tues/Thur lifting is a problem. I am SO tired after running 3 days in a row, that the Thursday night lifting is a nightmare. I've decided to change course a bit and move my second lifting day to Sunday with my cross training. As my runs get longer, I may need to drop my lifting for a bit, but am hoping to keep it up as long as possible. There is already some loss of definition in my arms after going from lifting 3 days a week to only 2. The good news is that once this 1/2 marathon is over, then I can get right back into lifting and have all summer to make great gains!

Saturday was my long run. It was just 5 miles! 5 miles! The best part was that I went running on a local paved course called the "5 Mile Drive". I kept telling myself that I was crazy for running what they had designed as a really nice drive. It runs through a beautiful forested area and overlooks some great scenic views. Next weekend I am going to run it again (6 miles....) and hope to take some pictures along the way. 5 miles was hard, but was doable. I've pretty much convinced myself that 6 is just really 5 miles, plus half a mile past my car and then back. It's not too bad when I put it that way, huh? :)

Sunday cross training was another bust this week. I was suppose to swim, but the pool at my gym was/is closed for maintenance. Don't they know that I'm in training and don't have time for maintenance???? I ended up doing 30 minutes on the machines (stair, treadmill walk, bike) and then lifted for 40 minutes. I like lifting today and hope that Sunday lifting will fit better with the rest of my schedule.

Oooohhh, I almost forgot about my pacing. By then end of my 3rd day in a row of running, my pace was getting close to a 12 minute mile for 3 miles. On Saturday, my pace was 10:58 for 5 miles! I am excited by my progress and proud of the work that I've already put in. Week 3 will look pretty similar to this week, except that I was do 4 miles on Wed instead of 3 and 6 miles instead of 5 on Saturday. I've started reading "Run Like A Mother" and am loving it! Some things I am wondering about this week....
~ How do I eat to fuel my body after a long run?
~ Do I need a fanny pack with tiny water bottles like all the other cool runners I saw on Saturday?
~ Can I really, really, run 6 miles???

~Kari

About Me

My photo
On June 19, 2009 I started my weight loss journey. It has become quite the journey! As of today (2-1-11) I have lost 162 pounds and have gained a whole new life. This blog is a continuation of my journey. I hope to inspire and encourage others through my process.