Friday, August 22, 2014

Athlete?

Over the years I've been called a lot of things when it comes to my appearance and exercise habits....

Obese
Fat
Huge
Lazy
Slow

Eventually...
Skinny (ps- I'm not and have never been skinny)
Thin
Strong
Muscular
Dedicated
Toned

Athlete.

Being called an athlete makes me laugh. I don't consider myself an athlete (but I'd love to be one). I'm not fast (but I do always finish). I'm certainly not the strongest (but I can hold my own). I don't eat-drink-breathe fitness (but I do exercise/play 6 days a week).

BUT

It's interesting that with all of my reasons that I'm not an athlete I also have a little disclaimer. I see in myself athletic tendencies but feel very uncomfortable being called an athlete. 

There is this little part of me that is uncomfortable with being called something that I view as amazing and unattainable (like when I'm called beautiful. Don't even get my started on that one).

Somewhere along the line I decided that desiring to be athletic was so far out of my grasp that to even attempt would end in disaster and embarrassment.

The fear of failing is almost sometimes stronger than the fail itself.

I weighed myself this morning. I know, never a good idea. ;)

My first thought was, "If I lost 10 of these pounds I bet I could be faster".

WHAT!?

Not skinnier. Faster.

I bet I could be.

I know how to lose weight. I know how many calories I need. Never again will I be working out 6 days a week and eating 1200 calories a day. Not.gonna.happen. 

The athlete in me (yep, I said it) wants to drop a little weight to be faster for my next race.

I've got this!

Wondering about you- How do you describe yourself? Are there descriptors that make you feel uncomfortable?

~Kari




About Me

My photo
On June 19, 2009 I started my weight loss journey. It has become quite the journey! As of today (2-1-11) I have lost 162 pounds and have gained a whole new life. This blog is a continuation of my journey. I hope to inspire and encourage others through my process.