Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Run Like a Viking 5K

So.... I PR'd on my last 5K. Yep, I did. :)




36:45- WHOOOP!!! My previous best 5k was 37:58 at the Turn Back the Clock race. Shut up! That's over a minute improvement. 

Was it my new magic running coach? Probably not thing soon....or was it? The entire race I kept thinking, "I'll have to tell Kyle if I walk" or "I know I can go a little faster. Let's go faster for 30 seconds" or "I know I can run up this hill. I've run up bigger hills". There is the physical aspect of running, but also the mental game that I am learning to play better.

Race Recap:

This was the inaugural event for Run Like a Viking and I have to say I was very impressed. Packet pick-up was really organized. When I got there for the race there was great signage to show people where to park and how to get to the starting line.  There were between 150-175 runners. (I'm not totally sure because some chose not to be timed, but were there and not recorded.) 

Things I loved about this race:
- Started right on time! Nothing is more frustrating than having to wait to start.
- Clearly marked course
- Volunteers at parts of the course the turned or split
- Beautiful views of the waterfront for most of the run
- Great post race snacks: bagels, apples, and water
- Fun costumes, stroller friendly and walker friendly
- You get a medal for a 5k- LOVE! 

Things that could have been improved:
- Hmmmm.... I really can't think of anything. It was a well organized and supported race. The bathrooms were a ways from the start. I would have liked a closer port-a-potty, but that's really not a big deal for a 5k.

There you go! I'd totally recommend the Run Like a Viking 5k. 
I almost forgot to mention that the race was FREE to me because I won an entry on Gametiime. Love me some Gametiime!!! 

~Kari

About Me

My photo
On June 19, 2009 I started my weight loss journey. It has become quite the journey! As of today (2-1-11) I have lost 162 pounds and have gained a whole new life. This blog is a continuation of my journey. I hope to inspire and encourage others through my process.