Sunday, November 21, 2010

Week-long Half Marathon

Run #1
I decided earlier this week that I would run a half marathon, but that I would give myself a week to complete each of those miles. My original plan was to run 1.87 miles a day for 7 days. I was talking with a fellow runner and telling her how I normally run approximately 9 miles a week. She suggested that I just add an extra mile to each of my usual runs and then squeeze in another mile some other time during the week instead of running each day. I wasn't sure that I could even complete 4 miles, but figured I'd give it a shot. Today was the first run and I am delighted to report that I ran 4.27 miles in 56 minutes and burned 787 calories. I even cranked up the speed on the treadmill for the last few minutes because I am such a rock star!

8.83 miles to go... My next run will be on Tuesday and I'll add to this post after that run.

Run #2
School was cancelled today due to snow and ice, but the gym was open! Today I ran for 4.30 miles in 55 minutes and burned 768 calories. I find that around the second mile I always need to stop to go to the bathroom. Probably an odd thing to share, but I am hoping someone has some great insight into this new running issue. I was worried that my first run was just  fluke or that I was on a treadmill that didn't really know how to track mileage. I picked a different treadmill today and was able to complete my miles a whole minute faster. Looking forward to my final run on Friday after a yummy Thanksgiving dinner.

4.53 miles to go... I might squeeze in a half mile tomorrow so that I don't have to do extra on Friday.

Run #3
Final run today! It was tough to get to the gym. My mom made an amazing dinner for Thanksgiving and I ate way to much yesterday. My mom would tell you that I didn't eat enough, but I am here to tell you that I had plenty! :)  I even ate an AWESOME piece of apple pie. Everything in moderation...

Today I ran 4.55 miles in 60 minutes and burned 828 calories! The highlight of my run was that I was able to run for a full mile at 5.0. Ladies and gentleman- that is  a 12 minute mile!!! I didn't think I was capable of doing a 12 minute mile, but today I totally did.

I set out to run a half marathon (13.1 miles) over the course of a week. In the past 6 days I ran a total of 13.12 miles. Woo Hoo!

1 comment:

  1. You're awesome and inspiring. I haven't run in awhile because of my back, but you make me want to try it again.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
On June 19, 2009 I started my weight loss journey. It has become quite the journey! As of today (2-1-11) I have lost 162 pounds and have gained a whole new life. This blog is a continuation of my journey. I hope to inspire and encourage others through my process.