Saturday, November 27, 2010

Weight-loss and My Faith

I was reading today that someone was going to start doing a Bible Study called "Scale Down~ Live it Up!" and decided to check it out. The book focuses on making small changes and seeing big results (agreed! Small changes do really add up!!!). It also looks at how nurturing your relationship with God will also improve how you care for your body. This book got me thinking about my own faith and how it has helped me through the process of weight loss. I've never written about my faith in relation to my weight loss, but am going to take a stab at it tonight.

James 4:17 says "If anyone, then, knows the good they ought to do and doesn’t do it, it is sin for them." I was reading this verse one night for devotions and begin to ponder... If I know that I should work out but I don't, is it sin? If I know that I should eat healthy but I don't, is it sin? After much thought I realized that the answer to both of these questions was yes! This verse started me on my journey of weight loss.

Another verse that I have claimed throughout my journey is 1 Corinthians 10:13 "No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.".   I FREQUENTLY have to claim this verse as I am walking pass the doughnuts on the counters or getting up from the table even though there is still a piece of pizza left over. God has called me to be healthy and through Him I have the power to make those healthy choices. People often tell me that I have great will power. It's not will power. I have a great God helps me through all circumstances.

Last one... 1 Corinthians 6:19 "Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own". I have the Holy Spirit living inside of me and that inspires me to take care of the body He has given me.

I'm far from perfect, but I serve a perfect God that gives me the energy that I need on days that I don't want to work out and gives me the power that I need to make good food choices. I have many other reasons for losing weight (my kids, the loss of my dad, being a better wife, feeling better about myself....), but have learned to lean on God in those times that the other motivating facts aren't keeping me on track.

1 comment:

  1. Love all those verses... thanks for sharing how your faith has influenced your weight loss journey. God gets us over so many hurtles in life! Still love those quiz verses!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
On June 19, 2009 I started my weight loss journey. It has become quite the journey! As of today (2-1-11) I have lost 162 pounds and have gained a whole new life. This blog is a continuation of my journey. I hope to inspire and encourage others through my process.