Monday, March 21, 2011

My Moments

Earlier today I was talking with someone (VERY exciting! More about this conversation in a few days...) about my weight loss experience and he asked me the dreaded question. What inspired you to lose all of this weight? I have thought a lot about this "moment" all week and after a lot of processing (thanks to those of you that have listen to me ramble) I've come to the conclusion that I didn't have a moment and I don't need to have just one moment. I have been successful at weight loss and changing my life because of a series of moments that have changed my life forever. Here we go...

* I have lost weight before. I was down to 303 before getting pregnant. In June 2009 I decided to commit the summer to getting healthy and trying to get back down to my pre-pregnancy weight. I KNEW that I could meet that goal.

* August 2009- We went to an amusement park and I couldn't fit into the rides. I didn't try, but at 330ish pounds there were no way I could fit. Others had to take my daughter on rides. I knew that day that the following summer I would be able to take her. I hate rides, but I WOULD be able to do it.

* October 2009- My dad died of lung/bone cancer. My dad was (still is on some days!) my world and it pained me to lose him. I want to be around for my kids as long as possible. I don't want them to every say, "I wish my mom would have taken better care of her body."

* February 2010- I started running! It was hard, but I was doing it! My body was changing and I was so excited to be doing things that I never thought possible.

* June 2010- I lost 100 pounds. 100?!?! That was the day I felt like I'd truly arrived as a weight loss success story.

* August 2010- I return to school from summer vacation and everyone at work had noticed my hard work. People were coming up to me and telling me that I inspired them. This became addictive! I found myself wanting to share with everyone that I encountered how they too could be successful.

Yes, I've lost weight, but my "ah-ha" moments have so much more to do with what my body is capable of accomplishing and who I've become as a wife, mother, daughter and friend. Earlier today he asked me what I look forward to doing now that I am healthy. I didn't have an answer! I've been so focused on being that magic number (174) that I haven't even thought about all of the amazing things that lie ahead. I'm curious- what goals have you set? What are you looking forward to as you work to improve your overall health?

About Me

My photo
On June 19, 2009 I started my weight loss journey. It has become quite the journey! As of today (2-1-11) I have lost 162 pounds and have gained a whole new life. This blog is a continuation of my journey. I hope to inspire and encourage others through my process.