Tuesday, February 15, 2011

My Runningversary

A year ago this month I started running. Why running? I had been walking laps at school for a few months along with doing a few classes at the gym. My weight had stalled and I was looking for a way to mix things up. I never, let me repeat, never thought that I'd be a runner. Hubby likes to talk about how when I was younger (and fatter!) I'd tell him that if I couldn't get there by car that it really wasn't worth going to. Times sure have changed! Here are a few of my running highlights:

February 2010- started running at 292 pounds; I started using the C25K podcast (C25k- couch to 5k) that allowed me to play my own music, but would ding at me each time I was suppose to run or walk. My initial runs were on the treadmill at a whopping 3.8 MPH. The first week consisted of 3-30 minute runs that would include a one-minute run followed by a 90 second walk. Those one minute runs were SO hard. My heart rate was through the roof and I invested in a Polar F6 to help me keep things in check while running.

March-April- I got to Week 4 in C25K and got stuck! The goal is to complete the program in 9 weeks and I was stuck at week 4 for like 6 weeks. It was very frustrating! I lowered my speed and still could not complete the run for that week-jog 3 minutes, walk 90 second, jog 5 minutes, walk 2.1/2 minutes- repeat. I was getting stuck on that 5 minute run. I had an amazing breakthrough when Tara came up to me at the gym and changed my running forever! She asked me if I was doing C25K and encouraged me to just keep going. She assured me that much of running is a mental thing and that I needed to push past that mental block to see success. My very next run I was able to complete the entire run and went on to finish the remaining weeks without any problems. At the end of April I weighed 273 pounds.

May-June- I completed the C25K program and was running consistently 3 times a week for a total of 40 minutes a shot (30 minutes run with a 5 minute warm up and cool down). I was running at a speed of 3.8 and feeling great about my running progress. I weighed in at 252 pounds at the end of June. The weight was pouring off! Wow! I just realized for the first time that I had lost 40 pounds in the short 5 months it took me to feel comfortable with my running.

June- After the school year ended I decided that I wanted to start running outside. Those first few runs outside were horrible! It is much harder to run outside. I struggled with my pacing and didn't understand how to decide when to run and when to walk. I posted on many message boards and finally found a pacing system that worked for me. I'd count 1-2-3-4 and then I'd do it again.

July-August- I found a running route that worked for me and started training for my first 5k. I signed up for the Free to Breathe run/walk in my city. I mapped out a 5k route and ran/walked it 3 days a week. With each run I'd add an extra block until I was running the entire route. I was down to 234 pounds at the end of August.

September 2010- My first 5K and I got sick! I finished the 5K in 43 minutes. Not a great time, but I had earned money for a great cause and was proud of myself.

October-December- The rain and dark mornings arrived in Washington and I moved inside. I tried running on the treadmill, but found that I HATED running inside now that I had experienced outdoors running. I was happy to see that I was not able to run inside at a speed of 5.5-6.0 A whole lot faster than when I first started. I dropped one of my runs and only ran 2 times a week. I added an extra class at the gym and ran outside EVERY chance possible. My weight continued to drop and I found myself at 199 pounds right after Christmas. My husband got me a copy of Runner magazine for Christmas and I loved it! I was challenged in my magazine to add some hill work. I changed my route and added a hill- my hill.

January-February- I got tough! I bought a headband to cover up my ears and a rain coat to keep off the weather. I started running outside again. I've added back in another running day. My hill and I have become close personal friends. There are days when my hill kicks my butt, but I love every minute of it! In January I ran my first 10 minute mile on the treadmill. It was a huge running goal that I had set for myself when I first started running.

One year, 100 pounds later and I am still running!!!!!
One year, one hundred pounds.....
I can't wait to see where running will take me in the year to come.

About Me

My photo
On June 19, 2009 I started my weight loss journey. It has become quite the journey! As of today (2-1-11) I have lost 162 pounds and have gained a whole new life. This blog is a continuation of my journey. I hope to inspire and encourage others through my process.