Sunday, January 1, 2012

Lifting Weights? BUT what about....

Before my surgery I read and started implementing the exercises suggested in The New Rules of Weightlifting for Women. Re-reading my blog entry from April made me remember how much I enjoyed the results that I was seeing when I had started lifting.

I love cardio! I love to sweat. I love to "earn" calories on my heart rate monitor. I love being faster. I love the immediate feedback and gratification. Lifting weights doesn't give you that instant result. My time is so limited and to lose weight (or just maintain these days) I need to burn approximately 3000 calories a week. If I increase the time that I give to lifting, i will have to decrease the time that I have for cardio. If I have less time for cardio, then I won't meet my calorie burn goal for the week.

Some things that I know about increased muscle mass.....
- burns more calories
- creates a toned appearance
- decreases the risk of osteporosis by increasing bone mass
- helps to prevent back injuries

BUT what about my cardio???? There just isn't time to do it all.

I wrote the first part of this post last night....After a good nights sleep, I've gained a bit of a new perspective.

I'm unhappy with how I look. The unhappiness stems from wanting to have a more muscular build. I'm not talking about having a body builder body, but I would like to be more toned. Being toned requires building muscle. Just like losing weight didn't happen overnight, developing a muscular appearance won't happen over night.

I'm happy(ish) with where my weight is right now. I don't feel like I need to lose X number of pounds. (Mind you, I'd still love to drop another 20 pounds....) Even if I lost more weight, I don't think that I'd find what I'm looking for in terms of my physical appearance.

So..... I'm going to spend the next few days figuring out a lifting schedule that will work within my schedule. There is a worry that if I reduce my cardio that I will gain weight. I've talked with many people who have said that once they started lifting that that is when they really noticed a weight loss (even with a reduction in cardio) and major changes in their bodies. BUT what about me? Will that happen in my body? I'll let you know....

~Kari

About Me

My photo
On June 19, 2009 I started my weight loss journey. It has become quite the journey! As of today (2-1-11) I have lost 162 pounds and have gained a whole new life. This blog is a continuation of my journey. I hope to inspire and encourage others through my process.