Sunday, May 5, 2013

What's another 5 miles? My 30-mile bike ride!!!!

The past few days in the Pacific Northwest have been amazingly beautiful! Highs in the mid-70's-80 and clear blue skies. We don't get this type of weather in the summer, let alone in early May! Last summer I got a bike, but have been too scared to ride it very far by myself. I just don't know enough about bikes to fix them if I get stuck far from home. This summer I want to get to know my bike better. I hit Julia up to see if she'd be willing to ride with me yesterday. She knows more than me and I knew would be willing to keep my pace and go how ever long I wanted. 

We set out on the Foothill trails for "a ride". No set distance. just a ride. Another friend had given me a bike odometer as a brides maid gift (BEST gift ever!!!!) and I was excited to try it out. 

6 miles in.... I could turn around right now and that would total 12 miles- the distance of the sprint tri I am doing in August. Still feel strong...let's keep going.

10 miles in.... It's only 5 more miles to the end of the trail. What's another 5 miles? What's another 5 miles? At the time it seemed like nothing. I'll tell you now, another 5 miles is
- 50% more than what I had already done
- another 50% more back

Those things didn't dawn on me at the time. I was on a bike high. 

15 miles in... Coffee house break stop for chocolate milk, cliff bar, and potty stop. At this point I was starting to feel a little sick. I definitely should have had something to eat around mile 10. We sat in the breeze under a shade tent, drank/ate and visited for a few. Back on the bikes....

20 miles in...The first 5 coming back were on a slight decline and the wind was behind us. I got this!!! My plan was to stop at 20 and rest, but I was doing good.

23 miles in...Potty break...collapse in the grass for a few...7 miles to go.

30 miles- DONE! We made it. Not gonna lie- I was EXHAUSTED!!! 

Hubby was amazing when I got home. He fed me (I had burned 1600 calories) and then I took a bath in epsom salt. The total ride time was close to 3 hours (counting our mid-ride coffee break), I was spent.....and proud. My body continues to amaze me. 

I'm sore today, but not so bad that I couldn't get out of bed. My right pinky finger is still numb. I wore gloves, but must still be gripping the handle bars too tight. 

No pictures on the trail, but here's one of Julia and I post ride. I am so incredibly grateful for the friends that I have made through my journey to health! Thanks for coming along for the ride. 




~ Kari

About Me

My photo
On June 19, 2009 I started my weight loss journey. It has become quite the journey! As of today (2-1-11) I have lost 162 pounds and have gained a whole new life. This blog is a continuation of my journey. I hope to inspire and encourage others through my process.