Friday, February 11, 2011

Is this what maintenance feels like?

I work up this morning and I was 192.0. For the past 4 weeks I've been between 190 and 195. The scale seems to be messing with me. It's favorite number these days is 192. Normally when I see 192 I get frustrated with my lack of progress. Today was different! Let me say that again, today was different.

I got on the scale, saw the 192, and smiled. I knew that I'd worked hard all week. I've eaten in my calorie range. I've met my exercise goals for the week. I weigh 192 pounds and it's OK.

Now if you were to ask whoever invented that stupid BMI chart they would tell you that I am still not "healthy". I am suppose to be 174. Let me tell you what I am. I am someone who works out 6 days a week and I mean I WORKOUT. I am someone who eats roughly 1800 calories a day. I am someone that can run a 10 minute mile. I am someone who drinks more water than soda. I am healthy and I am in control of my body.

Will I be at 174 someday? Maybe. I hope so!
Do I have to be at 174 to be healthy? Nope, no way! People say that you find a weight that "feels good". I am not sure that I have arrived at that weight, but I do know that I am in a place where I make healthy food choices and exercise because it's the way that I live. I no longer feel like I do those things just so that I will lose weight. A bad day no longer send my to my local drive-thru. Being tired is no longer an excuse for poor eating or skipping my workout. I live this way because it's who I've become and it's the right way to care for my body.
Is this what maintenance feels like?

About Me

My photo
On June 19, 2009 I started my weight loss journey. It has become quite the journey! As of today (2-1-11) I have lost 162 pounds and have gained a whole new life. This blog is a continuation of my journey. I hope to inspire and encourage others through my process.