Wednesday, May 11, 2011

I'm awake :)

Surgery went well on Monday. I slept pretty much all day Monday until Tuesday morning at 7:30. I would wake up to use the bathroom then climb back into the recliner that Hubby set-up in the bedroom. At one point during my first night home I woke up and Hubby and I were sitting on the floor. Apparently at one point coming back from the bathroom I decided that the floor was the place to stop and take a break. :)


About my surgery- The surgery lasted about 3.5 hours. I ended up spending close to 2 hours in recovery- apparently I was very tired. Everything went really well during surgery. The doctor removed a total of 6.5 pounds- 6 from my stomach and 1/2 a pound from my arms. They ended up putting in 3 drain tubes in my abdomen. Yuck! I hate these things. The doctor is hopeful that they will come out by Friday. When I got home my mom was watching the kids and helped hubby get me from the car to the bed. My daughter was pretty upset to see mommy hurting. I guess she cried for quite a while after I got home. That night I woke up long enough to have her read me a story before bed.


First day home- I did get up at 7:30 Tuesday morning to spend a bit of time with the kids before my daughter went to school. Back to sleep as soon as she got off to school. I then woke up at 2:00. I had my first post-op at 3:00. I've been living in my dad's old hospital gowns. I am so glad we saved them! I threw on (after about 20 minutes) a pair of sweats and headed to the doc's office. My first post-op visit was KILLER! I haven't been in a lot of pain, but having to get to the car, get to the docs office, get to the waiting room and then stand while they changed my dressings almost did me in. The nurse did let me lay down for a while because I was getting hot and dizzy. The doctor came in to check everything out. He said that I looked great and sent me on my way. Hubby has to call every morning to report how much fluid I am putting out in my drain tubs. Once it's less than 30 cc's a day then I can come in and he will remove the tubes. After the appt. I got home and stayed awake for a whole 6 hours. Woo hoo! I was in bed (the recliner) by 8:30 Tuesday night. I almost forgot! My arms look amazing!!! I didn't get a good look at the stomach because of the drain tubes, but my arms are smoking. I'll take pics once the drain tubes are out.


2nd day home- Today has been much better. I am finally starting to feel a little bit more alert. Most of the pain I am experiencing is from the incisions in my arms and the drain tubes. I have been taking 2 pain pills every 6 hours. I also have a slight cough. It hurts to cough so I just take huge sips of water when I feel like I need to cough. I've been up a lot more today. Hubby is taking the kids to the gym tonight. I am looking forward to being alone for a little while. Yes, I'll have my phone right by my side in case I need him to come home.

I think that's it! I am doing well, resting, and getting excited about my results. By the way- if you ever hear they a tummy tuck is less painful than a c-section they are totally wrong! This hurts. I keep reminding myself this it is just for a short time with great lifetime results. Thank you to everyone for your amazing support during this time. I have been checking my e-mail and Facebook frequently. It has really helped to know that people are praying for me and thinking about me. :)

4 comments:

  1. I am so excited and proud of you Kari. What strength you have! I admire that you have such determination to follow your heart and achieve your goals. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to know your well on your way with recovery!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear everything is going well for you. So do you have drains on your arms? didn't sound like you did. I'm excited for you too that your results are what you hoped for. Look forward to hearing more about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kari!!!!!!!!!!

    So awesome!

    You need anything? I'll bring soup. Anything. I'm dying to see smokin arms! Text is need anything 206.234.5069

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
On June 19, 2009 I started my weight loss journey. It has become quite the journey! As of today (2-1-11) I have lost 162 pounds and have gained a whole new life. This blog is a continuation of my journey. I hope to inspire and encourage others through my process.