Sunday, June 2, 2013

Where's your place????

Do you have a special place that causes you to overeat? Mine's easy- My mom's house or any sort of extended family gathering. Something about being around family causes me to eat...and eat...and eat some more. 

I love my family! It's not stress, anxiety, or discomfort. Somehow, some way, when I get around people that knew me before it creates these MUST EAT NOW type of feelings. Truth be told, I feel uncomfortable not eating a lot around my family. I'm never pressured to eat by anyone else. The pressure is all mine. For example, I use to eat fruit salad with A LOT of whip cream mixed in. Now I'd be perfectly content with just fruit salad, but feel the NEED to add whip cream because that's what I've always done. "Kari, we put out whip cream because I know you like it". I could say no thank you, and no one would bat an eye, but I add the whip cream. 

At some point in my life eating a lot of food became my identity. Not sure why, or when. I don't blame anyone. I have no stories about being told that I had to eat everything on my plate before I could get dessert. I started sneaking food into my room (Kudos, Twinkies, Ding Dongs) at an early age. I remember worrying that my brothers would get more than me. My mom would find wrappers in my toy box of food that I had snuck. Food and home have long been an issue. 

I tend to make these days my "cheat" days, but I am tired of cheating my body of the nutrition that it needs. Do you have a place that sparks your need to overeat? How do you combat these feelings? 

About Me

My photo
On June 19, 2009 I started my weight loss journey. It has become quite the journey! As of today (2-1-11) I have lost 162 pounds and have gained a whole new life. This blog is a continuation of my journey. I hope to inspire and encourage others through my process.