Thursday, July 25, 2013

The World Didn't End When I.....

In this journey (Margo uses the word project and I kinda like that) to lose and maintain weight there have been some event that have made me feel like the world as I know it was going to end....

- Leaving onederland and gaining back 20 of the 165 pounds that I lost
- Buying an XL shirt that fit in the L, but looked better in the XL
- Only getting in half of my workout yesterday because I had other plans and couldn't do both (I only did a 12 mile ride and had to skip the 3 mile run)
- Getting on the scale this morning

These all seem like really petty small things, but for someone who has, who always will, struggle with their weight they are the things that keep me up at night. The things that I dream about. Last night I had a dream that I threw out the scale, trusted clean eating and ballooned back up to 356 pounds. I weighed myself today. Not because my weight defines me, but because I refused to be held captive by the fear in my dreams. 

For months now people have been encouraging me to listen to Jillian Michaels podcasts. I finally did and was blow away. The first podcast I listed to (July 15th episode) featured a caller and the her question was something like this:

I've lost 70 pounds over the past 10 years. During the past 2 years I keep regaining and losing the same 20 pounds. What's the point?

Her question stopped me in my tracks. I *may* have shouted yes while riding my bike down the middle of a neighborhood road. What's the point?

Jillian in her oh so Jillian way got the caller to see that LIFE is the point. We get one life to live and we keep on pressing on because it's all about living the best life possible. We fight those 20 pounds because we want more. We want to be the healthiest WE that we can be. 


The strength that is needed to go on every single day is what makes each of us amazing. There are days that we don't want to go to the gym. We go. There are days that it's easier to eat a bowl of cereal for dinner. We take the time to make a healthy meal. There are days that we fail. We get a fresh new start with the new day. 

Today I weighed 212.1 pounds. The world didn't end. I'm still an athlete. I'm still working hard to teach my kids about healthy foods. I'm 2 days soda free. 
Do I want to be back in the 190's? Absolutely! I felt better then. I had more energy. My clothes fit better. I'll get back to where I need to be, just not in a day. Probably not even a month, but I will get there.

Where are you going? 
What will you do today to move you a little closer to your goals?

~Kari




About Me

My photo
On June 19, 2009 I started my weight loss journey. It has become quite the journey! As of today (2-1-11) I have lost 162 pounds and have gained a whole new life. This blog is a continuation of my journey. I hope to inspire and encourage others through my process.